Saturday, October 13, 2012

Your Birth Story

Every baby has his or her own birth story; each is unique just like the baby.  And, I love yours!  Because your brother was early, I was having a hard time not be anxious/hopeful that you would be early.  You did not disappoint.  Today is Saturday evening as I write this.  

Wednesday, I went to work like normal and felt fine during the day; other than being tired.  But, I've been tired for what feels like months.  Came home, by bike by the way, and discussed potentially applying for a new job with your Dad.  He left for a study group for the class he's taking and Dylan and I were hanging out.  Around 6 I started feeling yucky.  Made dinner for Dylan but didn't really feel like eating myself so I just had a couple of slices of cheese.  

The yucky feeling was a lot like I felt when I went into labor with Dylan.  And, it seemed like it was getting worse.  Dylan had been playing at the park with Grandma Bonnie and your Dad made him a fort out of your car seat box and let him color it with markers.  Needless to say, he needed a bath!  I wanted to take one too.  So, I went ahead and put Dylan in the bath and called Grandma Colleen to tell her I thought I might be in labor.  Then, Dylan watched Curious George while I took a bath.  

I was starting to get a little nervous that your Dad wouldn't get back from the class in time.  Plus, Mary across the street, was at a meditation class and I knew she wouldn't get back until after 9 and she was supposed to watch Dylan for us.  Luckily, your Dad got back a little early.  I had all my stuff packed at that point and suggested to your Dad that I was probably in labor ;)  We called Marnie just in case and she told us if Mary didn't get home, she'd come sit with Dylan.  Then, I called Kathleen and explained what was going on.  She rushed right over!

A little after 9, I noticed someone was home at John and Mary's so I called again.  Mary had just gotten home and came over.  Kathleen got here at the same time so we left for the hospital.  I called Grandma Colleen again and let her know we were on our way! 

If you get to the hospital after 9 you have to go in through the emergency.  They wheeled us through the halls with a nurse running ahead with an emergency packet in case we didn't make it ;)  The nurse in triage checked me and said, "You're not going anywhere."  I thought she meant anywhere in the labor.  Then she said, "Your 5-6 cm dilated and your water sack is bulgy!"  That's when we realized she meant I was definitely in labor.  

They took me over to the delivery room, got me ready, you and I got in the tub and labored for a bit.  My water broke in the tub during a contraction.  It literally felt like some sort of explosion!  They promptly got me out and dried off.  Something about not having the baby in the tub!  I pushed and you came out about 15-20 minutes later, if that!  We were at the hospital less than 2 hours. 

I think you and I make a great team.  As soon as I offered you the breast you went to town with a beautiful latch!  And, you nursed for something like an hour and a half or so.  Quite impressive.  

I had thought these last few weeks that you were for sure longer than Dylan.  Maybe it was the being 16 days early but you were 8 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long.  Almost identical but just an ounce less and an inch shorter!  Thank you for helping to make it such a quick and smooth labor. 

Pictures taken at the hospital by Auntie K!

No comments:

Post a Comment